For this 2024 version, I made a Pistachio French King Cake (Galette des Rois) recipe with orange blossom! It’s a real treat with delicious oriental cake flavors.
Every year I make several crepes because we are big fans at home and I like to try a new recipe at least once.
I had already tried with almonds and hazelnuts so this time it’s pistachio and I must admit that it’s delicious! This goes wonderfully with a little touch of orange blossom and honey (if you like), and gives it aromas of oriental pastries like baklava.
I will miss trying a walnut version…and yes, living in Grenoble, I can’t believe I never thought of that before…
This pancake was made with 4 hands with my little one who loves cooking. She was the one who said to me: “What if we drew a star!” So she took care of brushing the egg yolk and I took care of drawing according to her instructions. 😉 And in the kitchen, our star has taken on the appearance of a shooting star…
Pistachio French King Cake Recipe
What ingredients do you need to make this Pistachio King Cake recipe?
- store-bought or homemade puff pastry
- powdered pistachios (for this I bought whole unsalted almonds and blended them until they formed a powder)
- almond powder
- eggs for frangipane and gilding
- fine sugar
- soft butter (I like to use semi-salted butter)
- orange blossom
- and don’t forget the bean
The ingredients details as well as the instructions are available in the recipe card below.
What is the secret to obtaining beautiful gilding and creating pretty patterns on your French King Cake?
When you are going to mix your egg yolk for the egg wash, add a spoonful of cream. Then brush with a kitchen brush and leave for 5 minutes before creating your patterns using a kitchen blade or a sharp knife.
To sum up :
- egg yolk + cream
- kitchen brush
- let sit for 5 minutes
- a sharp blade
And if you like this recipe, i am sure you’ll love the one from last year : Hazelnut and Lemon King Cake!
Pistachio French King Cake
- 2 rolls of store-bought puff pastry or 500 g of homemade dough
- 90 g powdered pistachios
- 90 g almond powder
- 2 eggs + 1 egg for gilding
- 80 g fine sugar
- 100 g soft butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom
- 1 dry bean
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Place the puff pastry on a flat baking sheet, prick the dough with a fork.
- In a salad bowl, mix the almond and pistachio powder, the sugar, the 2 eggs + the white of the 3rd (keep the yolk to brown it) and the soft butter.
- Place the frangipane obtained on the pie crust, leaving an edge of about 2 centimeters. Arrange the bean on the frangipane.
- Moisten the edge of the puff pastry with a little water (using a kitchen brush or your fingers), cover with the 2nd puff pastry, and stick the edges well. You can form patterns by gluing the edges, like the photo below.
- Brush with the egg yolk diluted in a little milk or cream and draw patterns on the top.Make a small hole in the dough at the top center.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, checking the cooking regularly.
If you ever make my Pistachio French King Cake recipe and you like it, don’t hesitate to tag me on Instagram @tangerinezest so I can see the result and share it myself…
Finally, just to let you know I am French and I translate my recipes, be indulgent if you see syntax errors and do not hesitate to leave me a comment so I can correct it. I hope you will like my recipes and enjoy your visit to my food blog!