This Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta recipe has become a classic at home, which I love to prepare in fall and winter.
It’s a good way to please everyone by combining pasta, vegetables, without forgetting the treat with a little cream and cheese, to be quantified according to everyone’s tastes and desires…
This recipe involves transforming butternut puree into a creamy sauce that will coat the pasta like a cream and cheese sauce would, but be much healthier.
For this recipe I used butternut but you can obviously make it with the squash of your choice, that would also work very well.
Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta Recipe
WHAT INGREDIENTS do YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS BEURTRANETTE CREAM PASTA RECIPE?
- pasta, here spaghetti but you can choose the ones you prefer
- a small butternut squash or another squash of your choice
- a chopped onion
- pressed garlic cloves
- sage leaves
- dry white wine
- a vegetable broth cube
- olive oil
- fresh cream
- smoked paprika
- ground nutmeg
- toasted pumpkin seeds
- salt and pepper
- also remember to keep a little pasta cooking water (about a glass), it will be perfect for binding your sauce
To serve, I added some roasted pumpkin seeds which add a little crunch (even if children don’t always like it…) and grated cheese like pecorino or parmesan. The first, made from sheep’s milk, has a slightly more pronounced taste than parmesan, which is made from cow’s milk.
You can also serve with grated Comté or any other cheese of your choice.
Sometimes I also serve this recipe by mixing a little breadcrumbs with grated parmesan and a few crushed nuts, all slightly crunchy after spending a few minutes in the oven. It’s really very good!
If you feel like it, this recipe will also be very good accompanied by some bacon or cubes of grilled guanciale.
WHAT ARE OTHER RECIPE IDEAS TO MAKE WITH SQUASH?
- Creamy Mashed Pumpkin
- Vegetarian lasagna with Butternut, Goat Cheese and Spinach
- Pumpkin and Pecorino Risotto
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
- Baked Spaghetti Squash with Goat Cheese
- Pumpkin Gratin
Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta Recipe
- 350 g pasta (here spaghetti)
FOR THE BUTTERNUT PUREE
- 1 small butternut squash (about 600 g)
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 pressed garlic cloves
- 3 or 4 sage leaves
- 2 cl dry white wine
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Olive oil
- 5 cl fresh cream
- Smoked paprika (optional)
- Ground nutmeg (optional)
- Toasted squash seeds (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and slice the onion.In a saucepan, brown it with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of water and a few sage leaves.Stir occasionally and when it starts to look translucent, add the pressed garlic. Deglaze with 2 cups of dry white wine (if desired).
- Add the peeled butternut squash, emptied of its seeds and cut into cubes.Pour a glass of water (around 20 cl) with the vegetable stock cube and cover. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until the squash is cooked.
- Pendant que la courge cuit, faites également cuire les pâtes, comme indiqué le paquet.Gardez un verre d’eau de cuisson des pâtes au moment de les égoutter.
- When the butternut is finished cooking, remove the sage leaves and add a pinch of ground nutmeg and ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika (if desired). Mix everything to obtain a smooth puree. Salt, pepper and add the cream and half of the grated cheese. Mix well.If the sauce is too thick, you can add a little pasta cooking water.
- Mix the creamy sauce into the pasta, adding it gradually to achieve the desired texture for serving your dish.Then serve the plates with the rest of the grated cheese and a few toasted pumpkin seeds.Eat hot, it's a treat!
If you ever make my Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta recipe and you like it, don’t hesitate to tag me on Instagram @tangerinezest so I can see the result and share it myself…
Finally, just to let you know I am French and I translate my recipes, be indulgent if you see syntax errors and do not hesitate to leave me a comment so I can correct it. I hope you will like my recipes and enjoy your visit to my food blog!