This Creamy Mashed Pumpkin recipe couldn’t be simpler to make and it’s a side dish that you will serve throughout the fall-winter season.
What I like is that this recipe is very easy and quick to make and that it can be enjoyed in several ways (I’ll tell you about it a little further down…).
I made this squash puree with pumpkin but you can also use other squash such as butternut, pumpkin, etc.
What I particularly like about pumpkin is that there is no need to peel it because the skin will soften completely when cooked and will mix very well with the flesh of the squash.
With other squash, simply follow the same instructions as for this recipe but be sure to peel them.
Creamy Mashed Pumpkin Recipe
WHAT INGREDIENTS do you need to MAKE THIS Mashed Pumpkin RECIPE WITH?
- pumpkin (or other squash, but which must be peeled carefully either before cooking or after collecting the flesh)
- a few sage leaves
- turmeric and nutmeg
- fresh cream
- salt and pepper
- for decoration: a few roasted pumpkin seeds
HOW TO EAT THIS PUMPKIN PUREE?
- As a side dish: can be served with grilled meats (chicken nuggets, lamb shank, etc.) or in sauce (such as veal stew, chicken tagine, filet mignon with cream and mustard, etc.) .
- As a vegetarian main course with a few chestnuts and a shallot sauce for example, or with pan-fried mushrooms, or even with mushroom ont toast… It will be a treat!
- You can also use it in a gratin as a main dish or as an accompaniment, with a little cheese and with or without bacon sticks then put in the oven for a gourmet gratin, I also had a good recipe for pumpkin gratin.
- In soup by adding a little more cooking water and therefore further diluting this puree.
What other recipe ideas might you also like?
- Vegetarian lasagna with Butternut, Goat Cheese and Spinach
- Pumpkin and Pecorino Risotto
- Pumpkin and Chestnut Soup
- Pumpkin and Tomato Soup
Creamy Mashed Pumpkin recipe
- 1 pumpkin (around 700 g)
- 5 cl water
- 1 pressed garlic cloves
- 1 or 3 sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 g butter
- 10 cl fresh cream
- 1 pinch gratted nutmeg
- 1 pinch gratted turmeric
- Salt and pepper
- A few toasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Run your pumpkin under water and scrub it to clean it.Cut it in 2, remove the seeds inside and cut it into small cubes.If you wish, you can peel it but it is not essential.
- In a casserole dish, gently heat the olive oil with the pressed garlic and sage leaves for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour in the water, stir and add the pumpkin cubes as well as a pinch of salt, turmeric and nutmeg.Cover and cook for around twenty minutes. The pumpkin should be very tender.
- Scoop out the cooked flesh of the pumpkin and remove the water if any remains, but keep it to adjust the texture if necessary.Remove the sage leaves.Place the pumpkin in a blender and blend until the texture is uniform.Add the butter and stir well, then the cream. You can add a little cooking water if necessary to achieve the desired texture.
- Serve as is or with some toasted pumpkin seeds.
If you ever make my homemade Creamy Mashed Pumpkin recipe and you like it, don’t hesitate to tag me on Instagram @tangerinezest so I can see the result and share it myself…
Finally, just to let you know I am French and I translate my recipes, be indulgent if you see syntax errors and do not hesitate to leave me a comment so I can correct it. I hope you will like my recipes and enjoy your visit to my food blog!