This Lemon Thumbprint Cookies recipe is a pure marvel that you will love if you are a fan of citrus fruits.
This recipe is composed of a dough base made with almond powder which provides sweetness and softness, in which I made imprints in order to be able to place lemon cream, lemon curd.
I really love this balance between the sweetness of the biscuit made from almond powder and the tangy side of the lemon curd. It’s an absolutely perfect combo! And I really like the double touch of lemon brought by the zest in the biscuit + the lemon cream which decorates them.
If you wish, you can absolutely use the biscuit base and put jam instead of lemon cream or even spread or chocolate…
Lemon Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
What ingredients do you need to make this Lemon Cookies recipe?
- almond powder
- a pinch of salt
- butter at room temperature
- Powdered sugar
- almond extract (optional)
- a lemon for the zest
- lemon curd, you can buy it but I have a great recipe that is very easy to make
Quantities of each ingredient as well as the instructions are available further down on the page, in the detailed recipe card.
In the recipe below I add the lemon curd after baking, but if you want you can add it before baking and put it in the oven at the same time you bake the cookies.
Why will you love this recipe?
- its difficulty level: very easy! The dough only takes about ten minutes to prepare and you can garnish the biscuits with the jam of your choice.
- playful: this recipe is really fun to make, especially with or for children and they will be delighted to participate and form the little cells of the biscuits.
- its deliciousness: I love the sweetness of the almond powder biscuit and the tangy side of the lemon curd which form a perfect combination.
Other dessert recipe ideas you might like:
- Creamy Caribbean Coconut Flan with Caramel
- Fondant Almond Cake
- Bananas Flambe with Rum
- M&m’s and Chocolate Cookies
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
How to make thumbprint cookies?
Lemon Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
- 140 g flour
- 70 g almond powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 110 g butter at room temperature
- 50 g powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 lemon for the zest
- Lemon curd
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, almond powder and salt.
- In another bowl, mix the sugar and soft butter until well combined.Add the almond extract, lemon zest and stir.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until well combined.
- With the dough, form a dozen balls and place them a few centimeters from each other on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.Use a round teaspoon or your thumb to make an indentation in each ball of dough.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned.Transfer the baking sheet with the cookies to a baking rack.
- Use the same teaspoon to immediately reform the small indentations into the cookies while they are still soft.Then fill them with lemon curd or even jam or chocolate.
- Let it cool and enjoy!
If you ever make my Lemon Thumbprint Cookies recipe and you like it, don’t hesitate to tag me on Instagram @tangerinezest so I can see the result and share it myself…
Finally, just to let you know I am French and I translate my recipes, be indulgent if you see syntax errors and do not hesitate to leave me a comment so I can correct it. I hope you will like my recipes and enjoy your visit to my food blog!