With this Roasted Butternut Squash recipe, I continue the recipes mainly based on vegetables, I find that it is really good after the end of year holidays…
This recipe could easily be served as an accompaniment to a meat or fish dish for example, as a vegetarian dish accompanied by a mixed salad, or even stuffed (I will tell you about it in a few days…). And if you have any left, you can even eat it in soup or as a gratin with a little cream and cheese.
I love butternut because it is a squash with a mild, slightly sweet taste, which has smooth, creamy and beautifully colored flesh.
This dish is very simple and quick to prepare because it doesn’t even require peeling the butternut squash. Simply cut it in half lengthwise to remove its seeds, then cut off the flesh using a sharp knife.
We will then brush it with oil, salt, pepper and then everyone is free to leave it as is or add herbs (like thyme for me) and even spices if you wish, like curry or turmeric. For example. It will also be delicious with a little zaatar…
It can take 30 to 50 minutes to cook depending on the size of the squash you use, but it will be ready in just 10 minutes. For my part, I position the dish in the middle of the oven, under rotating heat.
Roasted Butternut Squash Recipe
What ingredients do you need to make this roasted butternut squash recipe?
This recipe only requires a few ingredients and they are very easy to find. I am convinced that you will have everything or almost everything at home! Only the first 4 are essential, I will show you the others to inspire you and vary the pleasures throughout the fall-winter…
- a medium sized butternut squash
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- dry herbs like thyme, rosemary… (if you want them but it’s optional)
- powdered spices of your choice curry, cumin, turmeric, zaatar (just like herbs, if you want them but it remains optional)
- powdered or pressed garlic, this is also optional but I find it delicious and it helps enhance the flavor of the butternut
- and if you want to give your dish a gratin appearance, you can even sprinkle with a little grated parmesan…
What dishes can you accompany this baked Butternut squash?
- Meat and Red Wine Fondue
- Oven-baked Prime Rib
- Veal Stew Easy Recipe
- Cider Braised Fish with Bacon and Shallot
- Garlic and Parsley Shrimp
Here are other recipe ideas to make with squash:
- Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta
- Creamy Mashed Pumpkin
- Vegetarian lasagna with Butternut, Goat Cheese and Spinach
- Pumpkin Gratin
Roasted Butternut Squash Recipe
- 1 butternut squash
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Dried herbs: Thyme, rosemary… (optional)
- Powdered spices: curry, cumin, turmeric, zaatar (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Wash the butternut squash carefully by brushing it well.
- Cut it in 2 lengthwise.
- Empty it of its seeds using a spoon.
- Cut the flesh using the tip of a knife, forming a grid (as in the photos).
- Arrange the squash halves in a baking dish or on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving the flesh visible.
- Using a kitchen brush, brush the flesh with olive oil. Salt pepper. Flavor according to your taste: thyme, garlic, thyme, or even spices of your choice…
- Bake for 40 minutes. Check the cooking by inserting the tip of a knife. It should sink in without difficulty and the flesh of the squash should be tender. Extend the cooking time if necessary.
- Serve hot, removing the flesh with a large spoon; it should come off easily, otherwise continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes depending on the size of your butternut.
If you ever make my Roasted Butternut Squash recipe and you like it, don’t hesitate to tag me on Instagram @tangerinezest so I can see the result and share it myself…
Finally, just to let you know I am French and I translate my recipes, be indulgent if you see syntax errors and do not hesitate to leave me a comment so I can correct it. I hope you will like my recipes and enjoy your visit to my food blog!